Football News

Ex-U17 India women’s football coach issued arrest warrant in POSCO case

A Delhi Court on Friday issued an arrest warrant to a former India U-17 women’s national football team coach in connection with a Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) case registered against him last year.

The Additional Sessions Judge at Dwarka Court also issued notice to the surety on breach of the bond against the coach, a procedure for flouting the conditions of bail. 

As per the court records, a case was registered against the coach under Section 12 of the POCSO act in the Dwarka Sector-23 Police Station on October 27, 2022.

Section 12 of the POCSO Act stipulates that whoever commits sexual harassment upon a child shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to three years.

“An event of misconduct has been reported in the U-17 women’s team, currently on an exposure tour to Europe. The AIFF follows a zero-tolerance policy on indiscipline. As an initial action, the Federation has provisionally suspended the individual pending further investigation,” a statement from the CoA said.

The football coach had been suspended and called back from Norway for alleged “misconduct” with a minor player during a training tour to Europe in June last year.

The Indian team was touring Europe as part of preparations for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup which the country hosted from October 11–30, 2022. 

After the incident, the said U-17 coach had denied the charges and issued a legal notice to the All India Football Federation (AIFF), claiming wrongful termination and defamation.

The notice, issued by advocate Madhukar P. Dalvi on behalf of the coach, claimed that the former India player “has been a victim of malafides and ulterior motives and objects at the instance of and behest of the All India Football Federation.”

He had further said: “My client was forced to admit to what he has never done by putting him under fear, duress and coercion. My client was not allowed to offer any explanation nor was my client intimated or informed about the charges/allegations/accusations levelled against by him.”

The Committee of Administrators (CoA), managing the affairs of the AIFF, had informed the Sports Authority of India about the incident.

The court listed the matter for further hearing on February 25, 2023. 

Rahul Saha

Rahul Saha is a senior sports writer at Sportskhabri.com. Experienced in various sports writing tasks, including op-ed pieces and player/team profiles, with particular expertise in Football. Also a cat-dad and a regular reader, he spends his free time with his cats and learning new things.

Recent Posts

ICC Men’s T20 WC 2026 | Match 43: India vs South Africa | Preview and Prediction

Here, we present our preview and predictions for Match 43 of the 2026 ICC Men's…

13 hours ago

ICC Men’s T20 WC 2026 | Match 42: Sri Lanka vs England | Preview and Prediction

Here, we present our preview and predictions for Match 42 of the 2026 ICC Men's…

13 hours ago

Manchester City signs new partnership with Revolut for men’s and women’s team

Premier League Manchester City have signed a new multi-year partnership with fintech firm, Revolut, who…

2 days ago

Real Madrid partner with X for new original series

Spanish footballing heavyweights, Real Madrid have announced a new partnership with X to launch an…

2 days ago

ICC Men’s T20 WC 2026 | Match 41: New Zealand vs Pakistan | Preview and Predictions

Here, we present our preview and predictions for Match 41 of the 2026 ICC Men's…

2 days ago

ICC Men’s T20 WC 2026: 4 players who have a lot to prove in the Super Eights

We are at the closing stages of the Group stages of the 2026 Men’s T20…

2 days ago