Here, we have a profile for Stephen Curry that details information about his playing career, as well as his sponsors, brand endorsements, business investments, earnings, net worth, rivalries, and charity work.
Born on March 14, 1988, Stephen Curry is an American professional basketball player for the Golden State Warriors of the NBA. Curry joined the team in the 2009 NBA Draft.
The six-time All-Star led his team to three championships between 2015 and 2018 and was named the NBA’s Most Valuable Player (MVP) two times. Curry is regarded as one of the greatest shooters in NBA history and holds the record for the most 3-pointers, having surpassed Ray Allen in 2021.
According to the reports, Curry’s average salary is around US$70 million. As per Celebrity Net Worth, the two-time MVP’s net worth is about US$130 million.
Here, we take a look at his luxurious lifestyle and assets.
Also Read – Top 20 highest-paid NBA players in 2022
Stephen Curry’s Personal investments
- In 2019, Curry bought a 1.2-acre mansion for US$31 million in Atherton, California. In 2015, he purchased a 7,520-sq-ft mansion in Walnut Creek, California for US$3.2 million. He also owns a 4,700-sq-ft mansion in Orinda, California, which was bought in 2013 for US$3.9 million.
- Being one of the best NBA players has its perks, as Curry has driven top-of-the-line cars from the premium carmakers. He has driven various premium cars ranging from the Porsche 911 GT3 (US$175,900), Porsche Panamera Turbo S (US$150,000), Tesla Model X 90D (US$93,184), 2018 Infiniti Q50 (US$35,200), Cadillac Escalade ESV (US$76,990), Kia Sorento SXL (US$25,900) to Mercedes Benz G55 (US$123,600). Still, the Range Rover Sport LWB (US$208,200) ought to be the crown jewel of his collection.
- Curry is fond of premium watches. He owns Cartier Santos Skeleton (US$57,000), Rolex Day Date 40 (US$34,975) and Rolex Deep Sea Dive Watch (US$10,000).
- The two-time MVP is also known to be an incredibly sharp dresser. He wore an Emporio Armani Suit (US$2,000) at the 2017 GQ fashion shoot.
- Curry launched Unanimous Media in 2018 after winning the only unanimous MVP award in the history of the NBA. The company has partnered with several media partners like DreamWorks for kids and family content; NBC Sports for Golf events; Universal Studio Group as the “global talent partnership”, focused on family, sports and faith-based content. Curry was the executive producer of the 2019 movie Breakthrough with his company’s development deal with Sony Pictures.
- Curry and Under Armour released the “Genesis Curry Flow” NFT shoes in limited, 2,974 editions in December 2021. The NFT featured a digital replica of the shoes he wore when he broke the 3-pointer record earlier that month. The NFT was priced at US$333 and sold out within the month, allowing owners to flex them across three different metaverse platforms across Ethereum-based metaverse platforms: Eric Schiermeyer’s Gala Games, Animoca Brands’ The Sandbox and Decentraland.
- Curry invested in Oxigen, a water-based company, which helps in recovering muscle soreness. His company SC30, also invested in a Denver-based tech firm Mos and Guild Education, which helps Fortune 500 companies like Disney, Taco Bell and Walmart offer debt-free degrees to their employees.
Stephen Curry’s Endorsements and Sponsors
Curry also has lucrative sponsorship deals with various brands. Forbes estimated that brand endorsements netted him an additional US$42m on top of his salary as a basketball player in 2021. Some of his brand endorsement deals include FTX, Callaway Golf, Rakuten, Chase, Fanatics, Under Armour and Infiniti.
Let’s take a look at the details of some of his sponsorship deals.
In 2021, Curry became a global ambassador and a shareholder of FTX, a cryptocurrency exchange platform. He joined NFL stars Tom Brady and Trevor Lawrence as partners of FTX.
As a global ambassador, Curry’s role is to expand the reach of FTX and tout the viability of cryptocurrency to new audiences around the world through several initiatives. Additionally, FTX has also committed to providing an annual charitable contribution to Stephen and Ayesha Curry’s foundation Eat.Learn.Play.
Steph’s love for golf is widely acknowledged. In 2019, he partnered with Callaway Golf. Together, the two are committed to partnering on various initiatives which focus on expanding the game’s reach by making it accessible to underserved and underrepresented youth.
In 2020, Curry helped Howard University launch its first-ever Division-1 golf programme, with a generous pledge of funding its men’s and women’s golf teams for the next six years. As a part of the deal, Callaway pledged to provide all the equipment required for this initiative.
Stephen’s goal is to help grow the game of golf worldwide, reaching youth and adults alike. The Callaway partnership also features co-produced original content in the spirit of Curry’s endeavours in golf.
In 2019, Rakuten announced a partnership with Curry, which included a multi-year agreement to make him a Rakuten brand ambassador. This agreement laid the groundwork for collaboration on branding and marketing efforts for Rakuten’s global e-commerce business and membership programme, with a special focus on the United States. Rakuten was also named the title sponsor of Curry’s first-of-its-kind basketball camp for overlooked prep athletes: “Underrated Tour, powered by Rakuten.”
Stephen Curry was announced as a Global Brand Ambassador of Infiniti Motors & Co in 2017. His outstanding achievements and personal ambition to be at the top of his profession embody the spirit of Infiniti’s brand positioning: “Empower the Drive”. The premium automotive manufacturer features Curry in its global products and brand marketing communications campaigns.
Stephen Curry and Under Armour’s partnership is a long one and has been around since 2015. It is easily his most income-providing deal and he is the face of the brand.
According to Business Insider, the initial deal was worth just US$4 million. While it might seem like a lot of money to a normal person, for a superstar in the making, it was peanuts.
After the initial gamble paid off for Under Armour, it was time for Steph to be rewarded. In 2015, the company signed Curry until 2024 and the contract’s worth wasn’t revealed. However, Curry got an equity stake in the company.
While the exact numbers were not revealed, the deal is most likely worth hundreds of millions of dollars. According to Forbes, Curry makes around US$44 million per annum from his endorsements alone. Out of that US$44 million, the major chunk comes from his Under Armour deal.
- Curry auctioned off his customised pair of Under Armour Curry 4s for US$28,000 at Brother’s Keeper Alliance, former US President Barack Obama’s foundation. Much like the Under Armour Curry 4s, he also auctioned off the Under Armour Curry 3s for US$30,101 to support the Oakland Fire Relief Fund.
- In 2012, he donated three mosquito nets for every 3-pointer he scored in the game. He also donated plenty of food for school children affected by the COVID pandemic.
- Curry received US$58,100 by auctioning his shoes, which he later donated to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education initiatives.
- In July 2019, Curry founded a company named SC30 (his jersey number is 30), which manages his investments, brand partnerships, and philanthropic ventures. Curry and his wife also founded the “Eat. Learn. Play” foundation in 2019 and invested more than US$5 million in the Oakland community around Christmas of 2021.
- During his visit to Cleavland for the 2022 NBA All-Star game, Curry donated more than US$100,000 to a northeast Ohio school district after winning the MVP in the All-Star match.