Manchester United head coach Michael Carrick quickly shut down suggestions about his side being handed over a favourable fixture run to begin the 2026/27 Premier League season, calling it ‘ridiculous’ and anything but favourable.
The Red Devils begin Carrick’s first full season in-charge with a trip to newly promoted Hull City tomorrow, followed by a home game against another promoted side in Ipswich Town next Sunday.
Speaking on his pre-match press conference, Carrick said, “For all of us to know this league, there’s no favourable start, I think it’s a tough start,” he said. “A promoted team away from home is a tough game.
“I’ve been involved in them in the past so I’m fully aware of what’s coming at us on Saturday, what we’ve got to be ready for. So it’s not favourable. It’s an easy thing to throw out there. But it’s pretty ridiculous in a certain way, [we are] not taking it that way at all.”
While both these fixtures look comparatively reasonable and easy on paper, Man United’s recent form against newly-promoted sides mean that a positive result is far from a certainty in both.
In the 2025-26 season, Man United’s record against the newly-promoted sides Leeds United, Sunderland, and Burnley was patchy at best. 2 wins, 3 draws, and a rather infamous 2-1 defeat to Leeds United at Old Trafford- their first loss against their rivals on home soil since 1981. So safe to say that Carrick has been reasonable in tempering the expectations while also setting the tone for a positive start to the season.
In terms of team news, Carrick confirmed that Benjamin Sesko will be in the squad for the Hull game having trained with the first-team. The Slovenian striker missed the entirety of pre-season due to a shin injury suffered towards the end of last season, and is in contention to get minutes in the game.
Mason Mount is a touch and go for the game having suffered a knock in pre-season, while the game comes too soon for Matthijs de Ligt, who has been out since last November due to a back injury, but has been participating in grass training with the squad.
Carrick was also asked about whether leading Man United to their first Premier League title since 2013 is a realistic ambition for him as well as the club.
“It is going to be a jump,” said the 45-year-old. “I would never say we can’t – I don’t believe that. But it’s about what we are capable of doing as a group.
“The run of form we had last season gives us a lot of confidence, but we know there is a whole new step to make. We are pushing to do that. It’s exciting. We have the potential to achieve things and we will definitely give it everything we can. We have to believe we are a good team and can do good things.”
While preparations are going on in full tilt for the opening game, The Red Devils are still in the market for new signings to bolster their squad for playing a 2 to 3 games a week season. The club are in the final stages of negotiations for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba, while also looking for a left-back before the end of the transfer window.
“We are looking to strengthen the squad, working towards that,” Carrick said. “We are trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it and are in a good way to doing that so far.”
In what is another show of defiance to FIFA with what is turning out to…
Current Premier League champions Arsenal have announced a multi-year partnership extension with Cadbury which will…
English football club Burnley FC have announced a new partnership with British digital rail and…
Austrian Formula One team Red Bull Racing has announced that their quadruple world champion Max…
German football club Borussia Dortmund has announced partnerships with beer brands Brinkhoff's, Guinness and DAB…
Premier League club Leeds United have announced a new partnership with encrypted messaging and community…