There have been a lot of movies where the game of poker has been showcased in some scenes. The frames involving such poker scenes are portrayed with a lot of suspense and are generally liked by the audience. Some great actors and directors have been involved in the production of these movies and have given many memorable shots to the people who appreciate their art. Let us have a look at the Top 10 best poker movies made so far:
10. High Roller: The Stu Ungar story – Directed by A. Vidmer, High roller is based on the renowned poker player Stu Ungar who has won many card games in his career. A gambler from the age of 10, the movie shows his life story.
9. All in: The Poker Movie – Directed by Douglas Tirola, the documentary shows how the most common way to chase the American dream for most people is through playing poker.
8. Lucky You – Directed by Curtis Hanson, it is a story of a poker player who tries to win a tournament in Vegas but has some personal problems to deal with as well. The cast also includes the famous Drew Barrymore.
7. Deal – Directed by Gil Cates Jr., it’s a story of an ex-gambler who teaches a kid some of his best card game techniques. He is later seen participating in the World Series of Poker, with his protégé being his toughest opponent.
6. Shade – Directed by Damian Nieman, it’s a story of a group of hustlers who encounter “The Dean” and pull off a successful sting that results in their pursuit by a vengeful gangster.
5. The Grand – Directed by Zac Penn, this story is an improvisational comedy where actors act to be poker players in an actual poker tournament.
4. Casino Royale – Directed by Martin Campbell, this one is an absolute fan favorite starring great actor Daniel Craig, Agent James Bond and has just acquired 00 status and a license to kill. He must defeat a private banker funding terrorists in a high stakes poker game at the Casino Royale in Montenegro.
3. The Cincinnati Kid – Directed by Norman Jewison, the story deals with an up and coming poker players who try to beat a master of the game to prove himself in a high stakes game.
2. Maverick – Directed by Richard Donner, the story deals with a man named Bret Maverick, who needs some money for a poker tournament and faces various comic mishaps and challenges, including a charming woman thief.
1. Rounders – Directed by John Dahl, A young, reformed gambler must return to playing big stakes poker to help a friend pay off loan sharks while balancing his relationship with his girlfriend and his commitments to law school.