Here, we have a profile for Karl-Anthony Towns that details information about his playing career, as well as his sponsors, investments, charity work, and notable honours.
Karl-Anthony Towns Jr. (KAT) was born on November 15, 1995, in Edison, New Jersey. KAT played for Kentucky in his college career before the Minnesota Timberwolves drafted him in the 2015 NBA Draft as the 1st overall pick. He had a good start to his career, starting every match since his rookie year, and has always had a great impact on the court both offensively and defensively.
The Timberwolves look different whenever KAT is in the lineup. He has been averaging 23.2 points, 3.1 assists, and 11.3 rebounds after seven seasons in the NBA. Being a Minnesota star and one of the few centre players to win the 3-point contest, KAT has shown his versatility and earned many achievements, which include:
- 2× NBA All-Star (2018, 2019, 2022)
- All-NBA Third Team (2018, 2022)
- NBA Rookie of the Year (2016)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (2016)
- Consensus second-team All-American (2015)
- SEC Freshman of the Year (2015)
- First-team All-SEC (2015)
- Gatorade National Player of the Year (2014)
- McDonald’s All-American (2014)
- First-team Parade All-American (2014)
- 3-point contest winner (2022)
Also Read – Top 20 best NBA players of the 2021-22 season
Karl-Anthony Towns’ Investments
- KAT invested in multimedia company Jomboy Media in 2022, which raised a total of US$5 million, including all the funding.
- KAT owns a 17,251 sq ft property, which he bought in 2018 for around US$4 million.
- He purchased Mercedes-Maybach in 2021, worth around US$200,000, which has Jacqueline Towns’ (KAT’s mother) signature embroidered into the headrests on the seats, which was done in her memory when he lost her during the COVID pandemic.
Karl-Anthony Towns’ Charity work
- Karl-Anthony Towns does his part in giving back to the community in his own ways. In 2016, he donated the Kia Sonet, the prize for Rookie of the Year, to the Minnesota Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- During Thanksgiving 2017, he donated US$10,000 to the House of Charity Ford Center in Minneapolis and again donated US$10,000 in March 2020 during the COVID-19 crisis to Mayo Clinic.
- His father, Karl-Anthony Towns Sr. started the KAT Team Foundation to create a scholarship fund for young adults throughout the United States and increase literacy in underserved communities. Both KAT Jr. and KAT Sr. work together in this to make notable donations, but the foundation is mainly run by the latter.
- KAT has also supported small businesses like Quickbooks, about which he also posted on his social media.
Karl-Anthony Towns’ Net worth
KAT’s net worth is around US$10 million, after going into an extended contract with the Timberwolves. KAT signed a five-year super-max extension deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves on September 23, 2018, worth US$190 million. His total career earnings after the 2021-22 season are estimated to be around US$100 million.
Karl-Anthony Towns’ Sponsors / Endorsements
The 7-ft Dominican-American basketball player was anticipated to be a good target for brands. He has signed with multiple brands over the years and now earns around US$3 million from his endorsements. Some of his endorsements include:
In August 2015, Nike announced two new signings together: D’Angelo Russel and Karl-Anthony Towns. The money included in the deal was not disclosed and KAT still hasn’t received his signature shoe with the sporting brand yet. He is mostly seen wearing HyperDunk collections and has also been donning Nike Air Zoom BB NXT recently.
KAT has partnered with the hydration company for multiple campaigns like ‘Burn It to Earn It’ and ‘Make Defeat Your Fuel’. He has been starring in multiple Gatorade commercials since 2016.
After being picked as the 1st overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, KAT was chosen as the cover of 2K’s mobile applications. KAT was also seen on the cover of MyNBA 2K17 mobile application.
Metro by T-Mobile launched a campaign in 2020 called ‘Rule Your Day’ starring Karl-Anthony Towns along with two other basketball stars, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Jayson Tatum. The purpose of the campaign was to tell the world consumed by negativity the players’ story and to inspire.
Trading card company Panini America bagged trading cards rights for Karl-Anthony Towns as soon as he was announced as the 1st overall pick of the 2015 Draft. His most selling card has been his rookie card.
Beef Jerky by Jack Link’s released a series of commercials in 2017 which featured Karl-Anthony Towns working out alongside the brand’s longtime Sasquatch mascot.
In January 2016, KAT appeared in a Foot Locker commercial, which showed him, D’Angelo Russell and Devin Booker welcoming Ben Simmons to the league after being drafted into the NBA 2016 season.
Ben Simmons was seeking advice from other Nike athletes, who warned him how the NBA was the “real world” and everything up until Drafts was nothing. The commercial ended with Russell throwing the rookie’s phone into the pool, to which he said: “trust me”.
Republic of Gamers (ROG) Gaming
KAT announced on his social media on January 5, 2022, that he had become a brand ambassador for ROG Gaming and said that big things would be coming with Asus. It is anticipated that he has an influencer and content creator role with the brand.
KAT announced that he had partnered with Slumberland Furniture in November 2021 and spoke about the then-latest Tempur Pedic beds.
KAT has posted multiple times on his social media about Mobil1. He partnered with Mobil1 in August 2021 for the ‘Behind the Drive’ campaign. He has also played in an NBA 2K event powered by Mobil1 with New York Knicks star Julius Randle.
KAT started his own channel on YouTube in October 2021 and has been coming live on it and streaming occasionally. It is a good platform for the fans to actually get to know the star as he does face cams, Q&A sessions and vlogs.
Beats By Dre
In September 2018, Beats by Dre partnered with the NBA on its tenth anniversary. It uploaded a video on YouTube to make it official. The video starred Karl-Anthony Towns and other NBA stars including LeBron James, Draymond Green and Jayson Tatum, who are all now part of the Beats By Dre roster.
Karl-Anthony Towns’ Past endorsements
Luminosity Gaming signed KAT in May 2021 as a creator. His streams and all his gaming content were Luminosity-affiliated, until he signed with ROG in 2022.
In the 2021 off-season, KAT partnered with Foco Bobbles and also showed off his bobblehead on his social media.